CCAD will be conducting an Endorsement Elections for the 2018 Austin City Council District 8 candidates. The election will be conducted following the procedures listed below.
1. CCAD’s eligible members may vote online from September 12 – 14, 2018.
2. In order to vote on endorsements, a member must:
a. Be current on dues,
b. Have joined CCAD by August 13, 2018, and
c. Have attended at least one general meeting of CCAD between March 12 and September 10, 2018.
d. Members whose membership lapsed after July 9, 2018 because of non-payment of dues will be eligible to vote upon full payment of their dues by September 10, 2018.
3. The CCAD Secretary will email all eligible members a secure link to www.electionbuddy.com to access a ballot to enter votes for club endorsements. The ballot can be accessed for three days after the vote has commenced. After that time, all voting will end.
4. CCAD will use Instant-runoff voting method of determining winners in the club’s endorsement vote. The method produces a majority winner in each race by simulating a series of runoff elections.
a. You will rank the candidates in each race in order of preference, with “1” being the highest (most preferred) ranking. For example, if there are 3 candidates, choose 1 beside your first choice, 2 beside your second choice and 3 beside your third choice.
b. You may choose to not rank all candidates in each race. Only the candidates you affirmatively rank will be counted in the vote total.
c. You may choose to not vote for any candidates in a particular race by selecting “Abstain” for that race.
5. The Treasurer, Secretary, and Communications Coordinator of CCAD shall serve as Endorsement Election Administrators. Members’ votes will be viewed by only the election administrators after the voting is completed, and will not be shared with anyone else.
6. How instant-runoff voting works:
a. The first choice on each ballot counts as a vote for that particular candidate, and the votes are tallied.
b. If no candidate receives a majority (greater than 50% of the total valid ballots), then the candidate with the fewest number of first choice votes is eliminated.
c. In the second round, all ballots cast for the eliminated candidate as first choice are recounted with those ballots’ second choice candidates.
d. The automated process continues until a majority (>50%) is reached by one of the candidates.
7. The Endorsement Election Administrators will notify the Board of the results of the final vote in each race, and then the Secretary will post a notice of the candidates endorsed by CCAD on the club’s website.